Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Painted Illumination

So, what do you do with a $5 lamp shade from the clearance end cap at Target and a $3 lamp base from Goodwill? Why you paint it, of course! We have been hunting for a nice bed side lamp for Chief's room and have yet to find anything we loved. When I came across a plain white lamp shade my brain lit up and I knew what we were going to do! Papa Bear, Little Chief, and I sat down one evening at the kitchen table with some craft paint and with brushes in hand had a fun filled family craft night.

A friend of mine complimented me on being able to let the child participate in decorating and designing accents in his room. While I thank her from the bottom of my heart, I would be lying if I said it was easy to turn creative control over to a 3 year old. I tend to like things just so and I have strong feelings when things go/look differently than I think they should. That being said I do try to allow him to have a say in his surroundings even as I add my own flair. It turned out to be an awesome lamp shade.

The three of us had a lot of fun spending time together, working on a project. Life moves so fast sometimes that it's easy to let family time fall by the wayside. When we sit at the table together and do little things like this lamp painting it reminds me of how fortunate I am. I have good, loving spouse- even though he makes me a little nutty at times and I have a great kid- even if he regularly drives me to Crazy Land. I'm sure I inflict upon them my own brand of craziness, but they don't seem to complain too often. I don't know why I am so blessed, but far be it from me to question the reasons of the universe. So I will just give my thanks.


back of lamp


front of lamp

I have to say that it is SO nice to have a bed side lamp in his room. No more harsh overhead light for reading books! Whoo-hoo!


4 comments:

Let's Talk About Our Day said...

That's awesome.
You creative mama you.

Katerina said...

I love it! But I agree on letting you hand over creative control. It is so hard.

THE LETTS FAMILY said...

I LOVE IT! And you're right about bed-side lamps, too. They are so great! You guys are so creative.

~Steph said...

That looks great! What a cool project.