Saturday, January 30, 2010

Little Chief of the Water

This year we decided to take the plunge and sign up for swimming at Foss. Owen has a few friends who have been taking lessons there with stellar results, so we decided to give it a try.

We have all been so happy with the lessons and the progress so far. I am sure it was a combination of age, positive peer pressure, and the lessons, but our kid is swimming! I mean, face in the water, learning the freestyle-diving-to-the-bottom-flipping-to-float swimming!

This is our second 4 week session. We go twice a week for 8 lessons. He is so happy to go!

Troy and I still can't figure out how they get the kids to pay attention and learn. It seems like chaos in there. It's a relatively small pool set up into lanes and each lane is divided in half with lessons going on on each side. There are at least 6 classes going on at the same time and the move them quick. One class jumps out another jumps in. But, however they do it, the results are there. Those Foss folks sure figured it out.

I really like to swim and I hope that Owen will find the joy in it as well. We spend a lot of time in the water during our brief summer months so swimming lessons are more than just fun- they are for safety as well.

I'm not ready to let him swim on his own yet- he doesn't know how to take the breath and tread water, but I don't think it's too far away. This summer I will stay close to him in the water, but I have a feeling by next year I will be able to sit on the water's edge watching my little fish swim!