Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Christmas Day 2009!!

I don't think there was ever any doubt that the Man in Red made a stop in the Yeagerhood during the wee hours of Christmas Day. I suppose you could say that there are many...benefits...to being an only Grandchild on your father's side of the family. One of the more beneficial times would, obviously, be when you get the Christmas booty received from Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, Mom and Dad, and St. Nick.

Not that every gift was wrapped up for the Chief. We had four adults in the house, too! It looks like a lot (and it is), but once you remove the packaging and wrapping paper it didn't feel over the top and the Child was overjoyed at getting the four presents he asked Santa for. The rest of it was just his family spoiling him. I mean, let's face it, it's so much more fun to shop for a kid at Christmas than an adult. You get to indulge your own childhood wants under the veil of gift giving. Sweet. It was an incredible sight when it was all placed and ready to be discovered.

He awoke a full hour earlier than usual on Christmas Day. He ran into the living room and back to us with a "He was here! Santa was here!" It was a joyful sound and we were happy that he was so happy. We asked him to wait to open any gifts until he had awaken everyone else and everyone was up. So, he ran downstairs to get G'Ma and G'Pa and down the hall to get D'Arcy. As the coffee was brewing, Little Chief was passing out and unwrapping gifts and shouting "This is just what I ordered from Santa Claus!" He was terribly worried that when he saw Santa he only remembered to ask for one gift, but we assured him that Santa knew about all four.


It really was a fun morning. We opened gifts, had breakfast, played with our new toys and I even learned how to knit! We always talk about the gifts we open, but we all know that the holiday is more than that. It's the gift of family and memories and joy and celebration. Toss in a little silliness and a lot of food and you have some of the best days of all. If you only get to see each other a few times a year you have to make the most of those few days.

I admit I missed my family. I wished my niece and nephew were here to run around with Owen and that my Mom was here to mess around in my sewing room with me, but you make concessions when live far away and sometimes a phone call or video chat will have to do. It doesn't lessen the holiday, but you do feel the pull of distance and you make plans for future events and talk about Spring and Summer and days that are easier to travel by. Maybe next year we can add a few more bodies to the mix.

I hope everyone had a beautiful, fulfilling Christmas and that you were able to share it with loved ones, either in person or in spirit. I will chalk this Christmas up as a great one and I am already looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

THE LETTS FAMILY said...

Are those silky Christmas PJs? Owen wants to know if Owen got Moon Heroes for Christmas because that's what this Owen wants now.